Saturday, 30 January 2010

Orange Ricotta Pancakes


Try and contain your excitement my dears, I'm back.

Half entertaining thoughts of just deleting this blog, I made these pancakes the other day and decided they were so good they deserved to be up here. There's a new supermarket opened up in my city and a nearby one, that sells a range of foreign goods mixed in with the usual foods, hence the reason why I have a real-persons sized tub of ricotta on hand.

This recipe came from the BBC Food site. I halved it because there's just me, but this is the full recipe.

Ingredients

250g/8¾oz ricotta cheese
4 tbsp caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
1 large orange, finely grated zest only
50g/2oz plain flour
2 tbsp melted butter

Substitutions

I used regular granulated sugar instead of caster

Although I used orange zest, you could easily switch this for lemon and top it with some blueberry jam instead.

Method

1) Beat together the ricotta, sugar and the egg yolks until light and fairly smooth (you don't want any lumps of ricotta left)


2) Add the finely grated orange zest (I didn't grate mine quite as finely as I should of. I found this to be OK, but it's personal taste), and the flour and stir in gently.


3) In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with a balloon (or electric, my personal choice because I'm lazy) whisk until it forms stiff peaks. Then fold the egg white mixture into the pancake batter carefully, you don't want to beat it and knock all the air out. This step will make them the lightest, fluffiest pancakes ever!


4) Warm a pan over moderate heat and add the butter. Place heaped tablespoons of batter into the pan, turning them over when they start to bubble. Top with melted cherry jam and enjoy.



1 comment: